Sunday 14 October 2012

Final Farewells...

Thursday 11th October 2012

As my flight was not until 11.35pm I had the whole day to enjoy which meant that things were not as rushed as they usually are. I began by swinging by Sushil's paper shop to collect the wedding invites and other items in my order including some new price tags. My last day ritual involves sitting in the Northfield Cafe drinking their excellent coffee and calling each of my suppliers one by one to come to drop off stock and settle the bill.  It was a great afternoon I always get really excited to see the new designs I'll be taking home and this year was no different. Eight suppliers came and went and Pradip kept me company, between us we drank enough coffee to keep us running for the next few days.

On my way to print out boarding passes I got literally dragged into a pashmina shop by Ekanath Duwadi, a local trader I've known for years from wandering around Thamel. I am always dashing off somewhere so he was determined he should get chance to sit me down with a cup of tea to flick through my wedding photos book. He's such a lovely man and it was just such a lovely way to spend an hour, it's one of the things that is great about Nepal, time is very flexible (!) and nothing is so urgent that you can't make time for a friend.

This evening as I had the luxury of a late flight and online check in I had decided to hold a party at Tri Netra, the home for the blind children. President, Kancha Gurung, was unfortunately held up at the hospital as one of the kids had been taken in with breathing difficulties, however his wife, Sonu, and the rest of the children were there when my friends Annie, Deepak, Pradip and Rupak turned up. Sushil from the paper shop and Krishna the painter also stopped by so we amassed a good crew for the occasion. There had been a power cut since morning, but candles were lit and we were delighted when the lights came on shortly after we arrived so we could get the party started. Rupak had brought a chocolate ice cream cake which the kids were besotted with, so after a few rounds of nepali songs we cut it up to share out. The kids all associate eating cake with birthdays, so despite the fact my birthday was six weeks ago I was serenaded enthusiastically with a round of "Happy Birthday to you" as I sliced up the cake!

Cutting the chocolate ice cream cake
Pradip, Kushum and Deepak enjoying the cake
I had spent hours making a pass the parcel using colourful layers of paper, so the next step was to explain the rules and embark on a game. Deepak was in charge of stopping the music as nepali folk tunes blared out from his phone. Under each layer was a small gift and sweet and the winner - Maya - got a plane and duck whistle which proved the source of great amusement. 

Playing pass the parcel
Maya with the duck whistle she won
I handed out party bags, then it was time to go to the airport with my friend Rupak. My trip, much shorter than usual, over for another year, my heart ached as I walked through the airport doors, but I am always happy to arrive back on home turf and I know Nepal, my second home, will be on the agenda again neat year... 

With Rupak at the airport

No comments:

Post a Comment