Wednesday 3 October 2012

Jai Nepal (long live Nepal!)

Saturday 29th September 2012

Today began with a wake up call from my blind friend Kancha, president of TriNetra, the organisation for blind children we support in Nepal.  I headed to the centre to take dal bhat (traditional nepali food of rice and lentils - in this case with the tasty addition of tofu and pickles) with the kids, and I was lucky to meet Paulina, a Finnish lady who has been in Nepal editing a film about Gurkha soldiers and who along with my friend Gopal Gurung has set up a weekly documentary film night to advertise the Tri Netra foundation. It was Paulina's last day in Nepal and she had brought some play-dough which the kids had a whale of a time with.

I headed off in the midday sun to drink tea with Ishwor - shopkeeper in a felt shop I make orders in.  We drank tea and discussed new products, he demonstrated ten ways to wear the "magic hat" (a type of snood made from knitted fabric which has apparently taken the world by storm (!)) and made me sport a huge pointy felt hat for the duration of our meeting.

I love a good cup of tea as much as the next person, but I was keen for a stronger afternoon caffeine boost and therefore chose Northfield Cafe, a Thamel institution which serves fabulous organic coffee, as the destination for my meeting with Sitaram, a nepali silversmith who will be making some pendants and bangles for our christmas season.

The evening was a boisterous one: I, along with half of Kathmandu, headed to an outdoor bar to watch a fabulous performance from local band Cobweb who performed acoustically.  Luckily I had flat shoes on as I ended up dancing the night away with friends old and new.  Under the moonlight I reflected on my visit so far and the country I love so much, my second home.  As we say out here "JAI NEPAL" (long live Nepal!)

Paulina and Gopal at documentary film evening
Young girl playing with playdough

No comments:

Post a Comment