Wednesday 10 October 2012

Last day in Gorkha

Tuesday 9th October 2012

Up bright and early at 6am (village style) Chija and Deepak came to join us for tea on the rooftop as we discussed their ideas for the future. They both said they want to try hard to finish their studies, then see what life holds in store for them! 

With Chijamaya and Deepak
They walked with us up to the road then Shila and I headed on up to Lal Prasad Shrestha's house, the very house where I lived with my fellow volunteers in 1998!  Lal Prasad's helper made one of my favourite nepali snacks 'Sel Roti' (Circle bread) which is made from rice flour fried in oil. Very unhealthy I'm sure but extremely tasty and we ate them with curry and pickle. Lal Prasad had also invited an American lady volunteering at his school through the Fulbright Scholorship program. It was lovely to chat to someone doing the same teaching work I did, her contract is twice as long as mine was as she'll be based in Gorkha for eight months, and she seemed very committed to the cause. 

Lady cooking Sel Roti
Eating breakfast with American volunteer
Back at the Gorkha Crown Resort I had a final cup of tea with Gokul and his wife as they told me about their big plans to take over a 56-acre Hill Resort in the area! I can't wait to see it next time I am back. By midday it was time for me to take the minibus back to Kathmandu. Shila's husband had booked me the front seat so I travelled in relative luxury, as ever there were lots of friendly people onhand to chat to and we were very lucky in that there was no traffic jam on entry to Kathmandu (very rare!). A young man from the bus walked with me back to Thamel (the bus driver had told him to take care of our 'Nepali-speaking sister'!) and I checked back into my hotel, dusty and tired. A quick shower later and it was back into the hustle and bustle of Thamel to meet my 'brother' Kamal for dinner at Or2K. After all the rice I'd eaten in Gorkha I opted for a huge salad! I remember that I craved salad after living in Nepal for eight months and when my mum asked me what I would like for my welcome home meal I chose salad and jacket potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment