Wednesday 3 October 2012

From stone buying to Mexican feasts!

Sunday 30th September 2012

Last night's revelry meant I began the day's meetings a little later than I had planned (!). First stop was a meeting with Sitaram (whom I met with yesterday to make an order) in his workshop to pick out stones and check how work had started.  I made a quick tour of a couple of other silver shops I buy from to pick out new pieces and designs.

On my way to my next meeting with a clothing designer friend I spotted a travel agency (Blue Mountain Travels) run by Buddhi, a man from Gorkha I met on my first trip to Nepal back in 1998.  A quick stop in for a cuppa and chat was necessary of course, and I left with a dinner invitation to be taken up before I leave at his family's house.  Rupak, my nepalese designer friend, took me for a yummy pasta lunch as we discussed various pressing issues from manufacturing bunting in the elefair colours (!) to securing long-term funding for Tri Netra.

The rest of the day was taken up with social calls as I took my "bahini" (younger sister) Ranju and her daughter Mansha to the well known Israeli-Nepali cafe OR2K for tea and cake, nepali style!  OR2K is a favourite with locals and foreigners alike, it has huge murals on the walls painted in UV paint, and the lights are kept pretty dim, very Goa.  My evening meal was taken care of by my American friend Amy who rustled up an incredible Mexican feast inspired by ripe avocadoes she had purchased from the local farmers' market.  Seven grateful diners devoured the delicious feast and enjoyed lengthy debates on the many happenings in Nepal over the last twelve months. 


Sitaram in his workshop

No comments:

Post a Comment