Sunday 14 April 2013

A lovely shade of...

Thursday 21st March 2013

Woke up with a cold only to find that there was no hot water -  a tourist group had used it all up before they checked out. I used the time it took for the water to re heat to curl up with the book my thoughtful husband bought me for our first anniversary, also known as the “paper” anniversary.

I had a couple of meetings with my silversmiths, Mohan brought some lovely filigree rings I’d ordered and Sitaram came to write up a new order including some more top secret pieces for the wedding. We had our meeting indoors as it was raining – I was overjoyed to see the rain as it has been so dusty on the roads since I arrived, and the heat only makes the pollution worse.

Early evening I headed over to the fabric shop in New Road with Rosina to order fabric for the bridesmaid dresses, her son loved the colourful charts where you pick out the shades you need. 

Picking out colours for the Bridesmaid dresses

Afterwards I spent a fabulous couple of hours at Tri Netra helping Kancha to write out a ticket for a musical event he’s planning in April to raise money towards building a hostel for the kids where a famous Tibetan lama is to give a speech. I had a nice dal bhat and drank plenty of tea so I felt quite ready for a night out. In Thamel I hit the old faithful Or2K where a friend lent me his tablet to do some work. It made me chuckle thinking back to 15 years ago when I first came when the internet was prohibitively expensive and there were no mobile phones, Nepal is certainly very advanced technologically since then.

As the curfew approached we took matters into our own hands and the night ended with a house party at my friend Nima’s place: more dal bhat, drinks and music without the threat of police coming to spoil it.

No comments:

Post a Comment