Sunday 14 April 2013

Good Friday

Friday 22nd March 2013

My day began with a herbal tea on the terrace with Shakti from Kriti Craft, one of the felt suppliers I use.  I saw the samples we designed last week and started work on my Christmas order.  Next stop was Dibya’s shop, a fabulous colourful place you may remember from my last trip to Nepal, where all of the products are made from colourful recycled paper.  I ordered some special things for the wedding and made a huge order of rose and chilli pens, which have proved so popular with our customers over the years. I headed back to the Women’s Skills centre to check on progress and choose designs for bridesmaids dresses. After popping in to Govinda’s jewellery shop to design a beautiful garnet set, a commission from a customer, I made a late trip to Sushil’s shop, the place where our very popular tiny notebooks are made. We played around with some new design ideas I am hoping to market online, and discussed some new biodegradable carrier bags I have ordered.

My work finished for the day (at 9pm!) I headed back to the hotel to scrub up for “Good Friday” (no not related to Easter, but what the Nepalese call every Friday, as they don’t have to work the next day :D  By the time I had met friends at the nearby Everest Villa Korean restaurant for my dinner, it was already 10pm. My Tibetan friends (or “brothers” as I call them) treated me to sushi and red wine and before I knew it we were belting out karaoke songs in one of the bamboo huts they have built on the premises. A couple of us headed into Thamel to meet friends for a boogie, but as the midnight curfew persists, there is not much to do and as we arrived very late we had just a few minutes to strut on the dancefloor at De la Soul with German and Nepali friends before everyone was kicked out. Another early night, not a bad thing for work, but a very sad thing to see people being treated like criminals simply for going out and having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment